"Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien



Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Near Miss!

I really believe being in labor all night (both times) was easier than last night.  I used to fall dead asleep and stay that way until dawn.  Not any more.  In my old age of 37 I fall dead asleep and if anything wakes me, regardless of the hour, I am awake the rest of the night.  Last night my ten year old scared the heck out of me.  The conversation went something like this:
10 year old:  "Merry Christmas Mama."
Me:  "Merry Christmas, what time is it?"
10 year old:  "1:02."
Me:  "Get your bum back back in bed!"
10 year old:  "BUT I CAN'T SLEEP!"
Donald:  "Turn your light on and read!"

I tossed and turned for an hour, at which point I decided to give up the ghost and read my own book (Stoker's "Dracula").  Donald woke up and turned on a movie (Albert Finney's "Scrooge").  The Ten Year Old kept opening his door thinking that it was time to get up.  I drifted off to sleep at 3 ish and woke up again at 3:30, very crankily, yelling at my ten year old to turn off the light and go to sleep.  His lippy reply was "Nice Christmas Spirit!"  Donald, being much more pleasant in the middle of the night than I, patted me calmly on the back and went to the Ten Year Old's bed with a book while the Ten Year Old put together Harry Potter lego's on the floor.  At some point they both fell asleep together, only to wake up every hour or so, just checking for daylight.  By 4 I was sound asleep, just in time (it seemed) to hear little boys whispering "Santa came, is Mama up?"  It was almost 6 so I sensibly decided, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  I stumbled, bleary eyed, to my tooth brush and tea pot while the younger generation ransacked stockings.  I made my way back to my bed with the intent of snuggling my caffeine and my dog.  It was interesting to listen to their conversation.

Ten Year Old:  "You have NO idea how long my night was last night!"  Oh, really - what about my night?
Nine Year Old:  "I slept really well."  Well, bully for you!  My eyes are bleeding!
Ten Year Old:  "I thought you were going to stay awake and try to catch Santa."  Good thing I'm Ninja quiet!
Nine Year Old:  "I tried to stay awake as long as I could and I kept my hand on my B.B. gun."  Grandma and Grandpa bought both boys Red Rider's this year.  So far, no blood.  But then, it's only been 24 hours.
Ten Year Old:  "Why?"
Nine Year Old:  "I wanted to shoot Santa and take all his presents!"  Holy cow!  Not only did I not get any sleep last night, I almost took a B.B. in the backside!  I decided on the spot that Donald really needs to take more share in this Santa business!

Beyond sleeplessness and dodging B.B.'s, we are having a lovely, if snowless, Christmas.  I hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment