"Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Big News (Again)

So we've been here before and not that long ago.  Somehow, this time seems different.  Let me back up and explain.

Friday evening I received a call from our realtor letting us know that the owner of the house we really liked was about to receive an offer from another family.  Up till Friday I had not really felt 100% convinced that we were meant to buy a house.  We'd only been looking to check out our options and, let's face it, I'm nosy and it's fun to look at other people's houses!  I explained to the realtor that I could not possibly make a split decision to offer on a house with my husband gone.  Donald and I had already agreed that we would pray about it while he was gone and then make an offer when he returned home, if we were so led.  Not to mention that my Saturday was jam-packed with one thing after another from 8 am-6:30 pm and there was no way to squeeze in a visit with a realtor.  With some sadness (because there aren't a lot of houses in our price range in the area we like) I informed Hope (yes, that's her name) that we wish the owner the best and will just have to keep looking.

When I awakened yesterday morning I felt slightly sad but quite peaceful.  As I walked through the gorgeously quiet orchard I prayed, like Gideon with his fleece, if we were meant to make an offer that Michelle, the owner, would not accept the other family's offer.  When I returned from a very long day the realtor called me and said that Michelle did not accept the first family's offer because she really wanted us to have the house.  Michelle and I had a lengthy conversation earlier in the week and I guess I wasn't the only one to think we had a real connection.  She is a relatively new and quite young widow with kids in high school, has lived in the house for 20 years and would like to live closer to her family in Nevada.  After letting Donald know the recent developments we agreed that I should meet with Hope today to make an offer on the house.

Hope let me know that Michelle was meeting with her realtor to discuss both offers at 5 pm today and I would know something by tomorrow.  At 4 pm this afternoon, standing in line with my milk at Safeway, my cell phone rang and Hope practically shouted that we got the house because Michelle "really, really wants us to have it!"

I don't feel stressed at all.  I haven't been losing sleep.  More prayer has gone into this process than any other time we've made offers on houses.  This will still be our first home purchase so you can see how well the other times went.  Thus far, it seems like God is confirming what we are doing and it feels right. There are still hurdles to cross.  Hurdles like home inspections and financing.  However, the house is completely in our price range, even without selling the RV.  I can't imagine finances being an issue especially since this time we aren't waiting on the VA and Donald is gainfully employed and about to be promoted.  Barring anything structurally wrong with the house, which is a renovated, cute, 1930's bungalow, we should be having one whopper of a Christmas house warming.

You are all invited!


  1. exciting! I'm looking forward to the house warming.

  2. I hope it works out, as well... and would be happy to bless your home, if called upon!

  3. That is good news. I hope all goes well this time. Keep up the writing. I enjoy keeping up with you guys, even if I am a bit behind, as I am this time.

  4. Congrats Twists!! We are very happy for you. Wish we lived close enough to stop by with a plant and a bottle of 2 buck chuck! Miss you guys.
    -- Naumans