"Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien



Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Library Update

I thought maybe an update on our Little Free Library might be in order.  The Library generated a tremendous amount of interest in the first few days it was open.  People slowed down their walks to cast a wary glance.  Cars drove slowly by, several even stopping and reversing to get a better look.  Everyone was curious but most seemed confused.  I may have mentioned from time to time that, while not a bad neighborhood, no one is having block parties to get to know each other and the concept of free is a bit suspect.  Folks are getting the idea because books keep disappearing.  No one is leaving books yet but that's okay.  A friend brought over a laundry basket full of kids books and I restocked the Library with the last of them this morning.  It's the second time I've restocked.

Here's how I feel about it:  I am amazed how much pleasure I get from watching little kids sprint past my house to look at the books.  Honestly.  My heart beats wildly to know that neighbors from other blocks and kids I'll probably never meet are experiencing a tiny thrill at finding a library treasure.  Because, no matter how big or small, that's what a library is - a treasure house, and all its gems are yours for the taking.  The gem could be an adventure, a mystery, an autobiography, a romance.  That's why libraries are so unique.  The gem is whatever you want it to be.

Watching people at our Library also makes me happy because this really isn't the greatest end of town.  I'm not sure how many of the people around here own books, which is truly heartbreaking for a family who turned their garage into their own personal library/school room.  In this day of too much television and video game playing, literacy is one of the greatest gifts anyone can receive.  Getting books into the hands of someone who may not be able to afford them is such a thrill.  Even my boys are catching the excitement of watching people take books.  Donald still thinks it may eventually become a drug repository but I just ignore him!

I encourage you all to check out the Little Free Library website and get a library in your own 'hood.  Even towns that are super small (like Lance Creek, Wyoming - hint, hint, Mom!) have set up an LFL in public places like the post office or gas station.  Give it some thought -  it's really an amazing idea and I'm so glad to be part of the organization.

PS:  I wish I had a photo of kids and parents at the Library but I don't want to scare anyone off by whipping out a camera!  Peeking through my curtains is probably bad enough!


1 comment:

  1. You're the crazy book lady! My parents just started one of these in their neighborhood; so fun. -Blythe

    ReplyDelete