"Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R. Tolkien



Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I'm Overdue!

My eldest was born promptly on his due date, which, due to my proclivities toward punctuality and tidiness, caused no end of merriment among my friends and co-workers.  My youngest, thankfully, arrived a few days early rather than on his predicted date of Christmas Eve.  Better early than late, I always say.  If I ever felt smug over my punctual and early babies, I send abject apologies out into the universe to anyone who has ever been overdue.  All this to say, I don't know what being overdue actually feels like.  But today, I have Pretty Good Idea.

Today is our Closing On the House Day.  Except that we aren't.  We've done all that's required.  The seller has already moved out and has rented a place in Nevada.  This whole process has gone so quickly and smoothly that I'm a bit surprised at this last minute hiccup.  No one really knows what is holding up the process.  The appraisal went to some mystical underwriting department over a week ago but no one knows why it hasn't come back yet.  No one has any idea when it will come back either.  Emails have been sent with no responses.  This falls into the category of Things That Make You Go, Hmmmmm.

So here I sit, in my 250 ft of space.  It's been raining pretty much nonstop for several weeks now.  Every time there is a 45 second break in the weather I herd my children and dogs outside because fresh is good for them.  Having them out of my space is good for me.  I send them outside so often their shoes are probably going to mildew because they never get a chance to dry out!  Today has mostly been dry.  Correspondingly, the boys have mostly been outside!

This must be a little like being overdue.  I'm both excited and grumpy.  I've been patient but now I'm Done.  The long awaited date has arrived and is nearly over with no sign of activity.  Will it be tomorrow?  Will it be Friday?  Next week?  Please, Please not another month.  I've been awake since 3 and I'm definitely tired because I haven't slept well in days.  Yet, like the advent of a newborn, I know I won't sleep after the closing because I'll be too busy painting, tearing out carpet and unpacking.  Oh, let's not forget about the upcoming birthday as well as Christmas.  I plan on sleeping sometime in January.

Keep an eye out for the final announcement.  Just like pregnancy, it has to end sometime.  Right?

1 comment:

  1. I am sooo sorry to hear this. I've been through this twice, and each time I could not help but think there HAS to be a better way. Hope the delivery yields a nice, healthy home for you all--soon.

    ReplyDelete